I am such a planner! I plan everything as much as I can, so, of course, I have a couple of tips to plan the perfect outfit for your portrait session!
1. BE CONFIDENT - If you don't feel 100% confident during your session, it may come across in your pictures. Personally, I don't wear a lot of low-cut tops or dresses because they make me uncomfortable and self-conscious. If I do get clothes with a plunging V-neck, I'm always covering my chest with a clutch or pairing the article with a matching tank. I don't want you to be worried about whether or not you look good in an outfit. That sounds like the exact opposite of fun. So, if you don't feel confident in it, don't wear it to your portrait session.
2. BE COMFORTABLE - Whichever outfit(s) you choose for your session, make sure you can move in it. I may ask you to sit or lay on the ground, or we may have to walk a little to get to the perfect spot for your gorgeous images.
3. PLAY WITH LAYERS - Especially in the fall and winter, layers look stunning in portraits! Layering flannel, jackets, vests, sweaters, or cardigans make for super cute outfits and will vary your posing options. You can even layer in the spring and summer with sheer cardigans, denim jackets, and vests. The possibilities are absolutely endless!
4. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ACCESSORIZE - Like layers, accessories, such as scarves, necklaces, bangles, hats, and shoes, can make a huge difference in your photos.
5. HAVE VARIETY IN YOUR OUTFITS - Your portrait session allows for up to three outfits. Of course, the more outfits you bring, the fewer shots you'll have in each outfit. However, I always suggest to have a variety of outfits that represent different parts of your personality. There's casual, dressy, school-related, sports-related, preppy, cozy, and edgy... just to name a few. Pick a couple of these categories and go from there.